Sunday, December 11, 2011

Lab 6: Jackson Springs

I studied abroad in England the spring semester of my sophomore year.  While there, I was obligated to attend weekly lectures pertaining to English culture that were often informative and enjoyable.  During that semester, I came to understand the distinction between Classical French and English Gardens.  (I can't remember if I learned this distinction during one of those lectures or not.  But I know I learned it at some point that semester.)

An example of a French formal garden can be found at the Gardens of Versailles.


Note how everything has a proper shape and size.  Manicuring and upkeep for this garden is a must as the visual effect is diminished if a blade is out of place.  

Contrast that with the garden found at Stourhead Manor in England.



Note the untamed nature of the garden.  Certainly, such a garden is manicured, but at significantly lower levels than that of its French counterpart.  The rise in popularity of the English Garden coincides with the rise of English Romantic poetry which highlights the beauty of wild, untamed nature.  

While Jackson Springs features neither a lake not a grotto, I immediately thought of Stourhead upon seeing the cover created by the trees, the little bridge, and the multiple levels to the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment