Sunday, December 11, 2011

Lab 5: Indian Mounds

For this lab ,we took a trip to the Ocmulgee National Trail.



I don't have much to say about the park as I've been there numerous times before in high school in college.  (The last time I went actually, my class was split into different groups; each of which had to take different paths to the Great Temple Mount.  My group had the fortune of going through the swampy area.  It was interesting as I had never been that route before. )  However, this time was unique as I got to hear a little about Macon's history in the process.

Apparently the knowledge of the mounds was lost.  People just thought they were large hills.  In Macon, this makes sense as you have the convergence of two geographic regions: the Piedmont and the Coastal Plain.  The Piedmont is more hilly.  An example of this in Macon is Coleman Hill, one of the highest points in Macon.  It wasn't in fact until the 1930s with the execution of New Deal programs when the "hills" were excavated and bodies started pouring out.  The significance of these mounds was then realized.

The ancient Mounds were once lost have been discovered and are annually celebrated.  It is now up to us to participate in nature and with it's history so that they won't be forgotten again.

No comments:

Post a Comment